There are three simple, yet significant reasons why it is important to stay on top of the upkeep with your furnace filters. It will help extend the life of your furnace - saving you money, and it will also help keep you and your family safe from bacteria, mold and other harmful contaminants in your air.
1. Protect Your Furnace
- Your furnace filter's primary function is to protect your home's heating and cooling equipment. The filter blocks dust, particles (such as pet dander and dirt), smoke, mold and more from entering the furnace's blower motor. If these particles get to the blower motor it can have sever repercussions on the performance and life expectancy of your furnace.
2. Save Money & Extend the Life of Your Furnace
- As time goes on, your furnace filter gets caked up with dirt, dust and debris clogging the pores of the filter. As this accumulates over time it makes it cumbersome for the furnace to be able to pull sufficient air through the filter resulting in the blower working harder maintain performance. This results in an increased electricity bill and will eventually cause the motor to overheat and burn out as well as take longer to heat your home.
3. Breathe Healthy
It is recommended to change your filter every 1 to 6 months depending on the type of filter you have.
- If you have a standard 1" filter you will need to change it monthly, as these fill up very quickly with dirt and debris.
- As a general rule, if you have a 3", 4" or 5" filter with a high MERV rating, (such as an 8 or higher) you can wait every 6 months to a year to change it.
However, the frequency of changes really is specific to each home owner. If you don't have any pets, don't live near construction and don't smoke you can tend to leave your filter in for longer - it all depends on the air quality within your home.
If you have any questions please call our customer support line at 888.623.4678, they will be more than happy to help answer your questions!